Wednesday, October 31, 2007

New Thoughts for the Same Old Me

Just because I've given up dieting it doesn't mean I'm just going to let it all go, park my plump behind on the sofa, scarf down down bon bons and milkshakes until I eat myself to death (conjuring up images of Nicolas Cage's character drinking himself to death in Leaving Las Vegas).

In accepting myself as God made me I also need to honor my body. Feed it good, healthy food and exercise. I can't possibly claim one can be fat AND healthy if I don't take care of myself.

This is an altogether different way of thinking for me. In the past being mindful of eating healthier foods and exercising was just a means to an end, the end being weight loss. I don't lack willpower. Almost all previous "diets" resulted in the following scenario: I religiously followed a low calorie diet and exercised like mad, it would work well for a while until I would hit a mother of all plateaus and absolutely nothing would budge on the scale (or my measurements)--for months and months, even over a year no matter what I did. I would finally give up and weight would rapidly return even though I didn't go hog wild.

I'm retraining myself to view food and exercise differently. It is refreshing to just embrace them both for their own benefits.

No comments: