Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Exercise I Tolerate


I bought a little stair climber machine at Goodwill for $7.99 a couple of weeks ago. I have a Gazelle machine but it's just too big to have in our living room all the time. So I bought the stair climber to do while I watch TV after I get the kids down to bed for the night. Bloody, diabolical machine! I'm not really unfit and I could barely do a minute without resting for a small bit at first. I managed to huff and puff through ten minutes but kept resting for a few seconds every minute. Two weeks later I'm now able to do the ten minutes with one rest. Progress.

My goal is to slowly get to 20 minutes, 5-7 nights a week. This is also progress for me. In the past my goal would have been to get to 45-60 minutes. It would have then got overwhelming and difficult to manage in the responsibilities of my daily life. I have perfectionist tendencies and sometimes I need to learn to say, "Good enough." Twenty minutes is manageable and good enough.

1 comment:

vesta44 said...

Yep, good enough works for me. I'm slowly getting to the point where I can do the whole yoga warm-up (15 minutes) from start to finish without a break. For now, that's good enough.