Sunday, November 11, 2007

Fat White Woman

I'm about halfway through Fat Politics by J. Eric Oliver. I'm sure I'll have more to say about it when I finish but it the first three chapters weren't an easy read for me. To learn just how statistically despised and disgusting I am as an obese white women did get to me for a day or so. Why do people even care, it's not like I'm going to infect them with my fatness. I think it's that I don't subscribe to the status quo. I do think it gives me a glimpse into what it might be like to be a minority. It's terrible to be judged on something so superficial.

I'm mostly over it now. Really, who gives a rat's rear what they think? If they don't like it, too bad, don't look. It helped looking over The Illustrated BMI Categories . It just reiterated to me that people are beautiful at a variety of sizes. I can be beautiful at "morbidly obese" as well. Who wouldn't hate being referred to as that? It even sounds ugly, nothing with the word morbid in it is going to conjure up positive thoughts. (I totally understand why Kate Harding used the term though, her project shows you how ridiculous and arbitrary the BMI categories are.)

Lush is a much better word. It sounds like what it is and it's all good. I'm going with it.

No comments: