Friday, November 23, 2007

Feeling Fat

I finished Fat Politics by J. Eric Oliver while I was away on vacation. It was informative and an interesting read by not nearly as enlightening as The Obesity Myth. Since Mr. Oliver is a political scientist it understandably written more as policy proposal. It definitely had more of his personal opinions and theories on America's growing weight in recent years than Paul Campos had. However it did give me a greater understanding of how the "obesity epidemic" became a governmental issue. After I finished it I was still left feeling a bit depressed with my position as a fat American.

Thankfully the next book on my roster is Bountiful Women by Bonnie Bernell. It's the perfect lift. It's inspiring, affirming, and encouraging. Of course I deserve to be treated with respect, be comfortable, loved, and lead a fulfilling life. I'm only half way through the book and I know part of me will mourn it's warm embrace after I turn the last page.

No comments: