Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Caring for Obese Patients

It would be a great start if more doctors actually read and implemented these guidelines recommended by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Granted there are still some major flaws (including the BMI chart) but it would be a monumental improvement compared to what is happening to fat people in medical offices everyday.
Weighing patients privately and only when necessary may help them overcome their reluctance to seek medical services.
Yes! Why do any of us, fat or not, get weighed if we're being seen for pneumonia, don't we feel crappy enough? I know I dread getting the potential lecture or comment every time I go to the doctor. I can pretty much guarantee I have a better idea of the calories in most foods than the average physician. An OB/GYN once started to tell me, "You know it's not just how much fat you eat but overall calories." Really? I never went back to her. To be fair not only for that but she started to write me a prescription for birth control pills after I explicitly told her my dermatologist said I should never take them following a rare rash I got after my second pregnancy (that the OB/GYN had never heard of). Wonder she got through med school.


Finally, providers should encourage healthy behaviors and self acceptance even in the absence of weight loss.
Wouldn't that be nice! How sad is it that it's hard for me to even imagine such an experience with a doctor. To be truthful I have had some very good doctors but I still can't imagine them being that encouraging.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Oh but its aaaaaaalways necessary to weigh female patients. Out of concern for our looks...oops...I mean health. I've asked men if they get weighed at every single doctor's visit and they don't.