Friday, November 9, 2007

Pop-Tarts and Bubble Gum

Tonight I went to Big Lots to get some Christmas shopping in without the kids. When I was checking out I put a pile together on the counter and (nicely) asked the cashier to bag them together as they were stocking stuffers that needed to be hidden. She tartly said, "That's fine," giving me the impression I was putting her out. While scanning them she snottily says, "Who give Pop-Tarts as a stocking stuffer?" Well, apparently I do.
When I told my husband about it he said she probably thought since I was fat I was planning on hiding the bag from my family for my own consumption. That is too funny to me, if I'm going to be hiding something away I would pick something WAY better than Pop-Tarts and bubble gum tape (blech, blech). Like CHOCOLATE! What's even funnier is my stash actually consists of those 100 calorie packs of the little cookies and popcorn, sugar free Life Savers, 90 calorie Special K bars, and 50 calorie packs of Goobers and Raisinets. They aren't even hidden away, just in a less convenient cupboard. If I put them in the cupboard with the rest of the food the kids will eat like four packages at a time just because they're easy and in plain sight.

In reality I don't even look at Pop-Tarts, Cheez-Its, or boxed mac and cheese as food. It's stuff my kids eat occasionally but I'd need to be on Survivor to actually want to eat it. I would much rather eat a salad, carrots, fruit, or yogurt any day. Just another one of those misperceptions about fat people.

My husband also said this kind of thinking made him furious. We might have a "normal" BMI fat activist on our hands.

1 comment:

Kat said...

A big standing O for your husband!