Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Wake Up, I'm Fat!

The first definitive step I took toward fat acceptance was reading Camryn Manheim's book Wake Up, I'm Fat!. It was compelling, I was cried and rejoiced along with her. Although some of the details are becoming a bit dated the message is still timely.

One of the things she wrote about that spoke to me was how much of her life she had spent waiting for her life to really begin, including losing weight. I have been guilty of these thoughts in the past. It reiterated to me that right now is all we are guaranteed. Her robust appetite for a life that includes tiramisu is infectious. I need to do a better job of embracing the present.

The second lesson I took away from the book was not to let others make me feel less than. If they try to the shame is theirs, not mine. Many of her bold comebacks just might come in handy at some point.

No comments: