Saturday, January 17, 2009

I don't believe you Biggest Loser

Sue at suethsayings discussion and the follow up with Pete from The Biggest Loser show has gotten me thinking. I simply don't believe in the premise of the show (or him for that matter, gasp). I don't believe the contestants lose that much weight, that quickly, the "healthy" way. As most fat people I personally have experience with being on a diet (a.k.a "lifestyle" change) for a total of years and years in total. Like most fat people I've done it all kinds of ways: commercial diets, counting calories, starvation, pills, massive exercise, etc. At my thinnest I averaged about 500 calories a day and was running at least five miles a day, of course I did loose 50 lbs but then lost absolutely nothing for over one whole year while still keeping it up (hey, fat people have willpower!). I gained weight back even eating only about 1500 calories a day while still running.

On my last diet I was determined to do it the "right" way. I ate about 1200-1500 calories a day while doing about 2-3 hours of varied exercise a day (swimming, running, gazelle walker, weight lifting). I did lose about 80 lbs but then completely stalled for over six months despite still being about 90 lbs "overweight". I did an experiment of eating 2200-2400 calories a day for two weeks, while still keeping up the exercise. In those two weeks I gained 8 lbs. So I went back to the 1200-1500 calories and still lost nothing in over six months. Then I got pregnant with my fourth. In my previous three pregnancies when I had not been on a diet before I had gained less than 15 lbs in total. With fourth pregnancy I gained 35 lbs despite eating even better than I had with the other three (which was good to begin with).

So, like a lot of fat people I have real experience losing and like 95% of us gaining it (and more back). I know my body. I DON'T BELIEVE YOU Pete. What I find interesting is how threatened Pete seems to be confronted by unbelief.

I'm done being at war with my body and food. I'm not a thin person trapped inside a fat body. I'm a fat person. This in no way diminishes my worth as a person. I'm not a failure, diets are.

No comments: