Friday, February 6, 2009

My Red Boots


...are apparently my f-you boots. So today I'm getting dressed in the locker room after swimming laps. I actually started getting dressed in the changing rooms the last few months because I've decided I would rather not have another unfortunate discussion about my size with a stranger while I'm naked. Obviously I'm not hiding anything as people see me in a suit and see me naked in the showers (I refuse not to have a proper shower). However I put my shoes and socks on out in the benches where there is more room.

So a woman I see there frequently (also fat I might add) looks at my boots and says, "Yikes." To which I say, "Yes, they're out there but I LOVE them." Then she says, "Those are like something on What Not to Wear." I smile, "I couldn't care less." (My friends and family have all been warned to even entertain the notion of calling What Not to Wear on me as they would be met with bitter disappointment.) Then we actually have a pleasant chat about finding plus size clothing and stores, although I got the feeling she was trying to advise me more than anything. I did express several times that I'm fortunate enough to be in a position, i.e. no boss, etc., that I can dress any way I please.

I'm not going to disguise myself and try to fade into the woodwork just because I'm fat. In fact I think in some instances fat people, because of their substance, can carry off certain bold looks with better success than thin people. Just last week I asked my kids (2, 7, 12, and 15) what they thought about how I dress and they all said it was cool, I looked creative, and it was me. My only conern was really not overly embrassing the teens, other than that everyone else can buggar off.

I truly love my Dr. Martens red velvet boots with the satin ribbon laces. I also have them in black velvet. I wanted my red ones so bad I stalked ebay until I found them in my size. In fact I love them so much we made babies:

13 comments:

vesta44 said...

Wow! I love those boots, and I'm not into shoes/boots at all. I think I may have to see if I can find a pair of those, they really rock! And I like the short ones too.

Morte said...

Wow those are wonderful shoes! I would totally wear them! And I'm lucky i could wear them to work 8) I might have to start stalking myself a pair.

Melissa said...

I absolutely love those boots!
To hell with What Not To Wear, not everyone can afford to spend $5000 in two days on clothes!

Bri said...

I so want your boots! All of 'em!!!

buffpuff said...

I love them and can't imagine why anybody would be offended by either pair. In fact I've been craving red boots for the longest time and used to have a pair back in the day.

Her WNTW reference would seem to infer she thinks you haven't yet heard the life-enhancing news that black is slenderizing. Personally I'd've asked her why she didn't like them just to embarrass her. Then you could have told her you don't subscribe to the notion that fat women should do their damndest to vanish themselves. I'm betting that's one thing the magazines never told her.

Leigh Olivia said...

rock the hell on! those boots are magnificent (and i wear boots for living, so i know what i'm talking about!). and ps, your kids sound awesome, appreciating that they have a mother who breaks the mold.

Eli Reed said...

Wow, what a rude little piece of work she was!

How mannerless and clueless to say something like that.

Ms. Heathen said...

Love those boots! I did a search for a pair and found them in red patent. If I only had the money.

My peeps know not to sign me up for What Not To Wear unless they can post bail. I imagine it would be entertaining television, though.

Wear what makes you feel happy and the rest of the world can go to hell.

Scattered Marbles said...

I adore those boots.. and I LOVE your attitude and the way you face life. It is inspiring!

Rachel said...

Those are awesome boots. I'd proudly wear them if I could only be lucky enough to find them and at a good price.

I told my husband that I would totally not be offended if he were to submit my name for WNTW. A $5,000 New York shopping spree and makeover on someone else's dime? Sign me up! I can always "forget" to bring my most favorite tacky clothes items at home.

Cherie said...

Thank you for all the encouraging comments. All of you are wonderful.

Ms. Heathen, bail money...too funny.

Rachel, I would be totally cool with $5,000 in new clothes and a $500 haircut IF it didn't involve tossing everything else I own. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a clothes horse or although I think of it more as a collection. I'm not too attached to much material goods but I'm guess I do look at my clothes as an expression, and therefore pretty personal. Also, I'm so not down with getting shamed and criticized on national TV because what I'm wearing isn't as flattering as possible at all moments (like when I wear the sweats I sleep in to the pool in the morning).

I'm REALLY bad at conformity. I'm a politcal liberal but a fundamental Christian whose likely looks Wiccan much of the time. We homeschool mostly because we want to do things how want, not how the state tells us we're suppose to. I'm feminist homemaker who often doesn't wear age appropriate clothing. I really don't think Stacy and Clinton telling me what to do and how to dress would go very well.

Kristie said...

Love love LOVE those boots. Where'd you get the tall ones?

Cherie said...

Kristie, I got my tall red ones off ebay about a year ago. I got my tall black ones online from Zappos or Shoe Mall, or one of those; also about a year ago. Sadly it seems to be a discountinued style Dr. Martens. I got my short ones off ebay about a month ago so there might still be hope to find them there if you keep checking.