Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Article on Doctors' Fatness

Like most articles on the subject of weight and health much of this one in the L.A. Times is mostly a bunch of unsubstantiated drivel even if it does mention the fatosphere. Ms. Deardorff, just throwing a sentence or two in there about fat activism doesn't make your piece well-balanced. Also the idea that seeing an "overweight" doctor is analogous to taking advice from a CPA who just file bankruptcy is way off-base. It's one of those things people say to make themselves sound clever and thoughtful but is just meaningless. Really, my biggest gripe with this piece is just what a lame note it ends on, "I am fat because I eat too much," she admitted. "I exercise plenty but I just eat too much. In fact, burp, I just did." Groan, really? Once again it lays all the "blame" on fat people being unrestrained gluttons.

I do have concerns with the overall premise of the article. Just like many pursuits, doctors and otherwise; fat people no matter how exceptional our accomplishments, experiences, education, qualifications, and gifts they can be all discredited just because of some extra fat. It's wrong, it's discrimination and it amazes me that so many people fail to recognize it as such.

1 comment:

The Contrarian Reviewer said...

I thought you'd enjoy the ending....