Sunday, May 1, 2011

Making My Fat Fatty Fatness Visible

The last several months I've noticed a lot of buzz on several fat acceptance sites about making our fat selves more visible in an effort to normalize our bodies. I've decided to take on the challenge and will be making an effort to post more pictures of myself. Sometimes I might do some outfit blogging, maybe I won't. I see a lot of fantastic, fat, edgy, and mostly young outfit bloggers. I think I can bring a slightly different voice to the party.

I'm 42, a homemaker, mom of four, and a military spouse of one who is currently deployed overseas. I have a mostly casual Seattle lifestyle but I do attend a lot of theatre and artistic endeavors. I like to dress uniquely but at my age I find some things are just starting to look silly. I'm fairly shameless and difficult to embarrass. I've come a long way in my self and fat acceptance but I, of course, still struggle with moments of doubt and criticalness. I'm really not sure what I weigh and don't feel inclined to find out. I'm 5'4" and I generally wear a US size 26-28 (less if we're dealing with Igigi, higher even than that if we're dealing with "skinny" jeans as I like them less skinny).

I foresee this taking my blog in a bit of a new direction for me and some antics from my normal life weaving themselves in my normalizing body image. Since I cannot find the thingy that attaches a camera to my tripod there will undoubtedly be some odd angles until it turns up.

Today's outfit: red ponte knit dress and black ponte knit leggings from Avenue, both bought a size too big so they would be loose; scarf from Walgreens, where I had addiction buying their 2 for $10 scarves every time I went in there for milk.

3 comments:

Sleepydumpling said...

Good on you for jumping in and showing another perspective to fat acceptance, body types and self image!

I know what you mean about the young, cute and fashionable - good on those young women for getting themselves out there and visible to the world. But there needs to be more of the rest of us too.

Those of us who have waved goodbye to our 20's and beyond, the Mums, the Super fat, the weirdos, the rad fatties and the everyday types. The more diversity we have, the better!

Fuzzy said...

I think you're really brave and cool. I think more people should learn to love themselves. I also think that your sense of style is good. You said you're 42 and the clothes you chose are suitable for your age and give you a cuddly mumsy appearance without making you look old!
signed : Fuzzy X
LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUV!

Giorgi said...

Very nice blog and very good journey.
All of us have problems of self acceptance in some aspects, because of societies demand what we should be.