Friday, December 20, 2013

The Fat Girl Glams It Up

 
 I have to be honest, I struggled with this month's Ahead of the Curve theme of holiday glitz and glam.  While I'm usually overdressed for almost every occasion where I live, I'm not really comfortable with glamour and especially not glitz (I have a black sequined tank top that has been in my closet for two or three years with the tag still on it).  When this dress arrived from Modcloth I finally found my inspiration.

 
This is the String of Twirls Dress by Moon from Modcloth.  I had never ordered from Modcloth beore but I went wild during their fantastic Black Friday sale and ordered 13 items, knowing most of them probably wouldn't work for me.  Sure enough eight items got sent back, seven of them were too small on me.  Even with those low odds their free returns makes it worth it to try them again in the future for me.

 

Unlike most of the other items from Modcloth this may have even run slightly big on me.  It's stretchy and comfortable, always a positive.  The cardigan was bought secondhand through Fattoo but it's from Torrid.


 
The dress has a lovely detailed neckline of a gold tone chain and faux pearls.
 
 
With the pearl neckline and faux collar there wasn't much room for embellishment but I added a vintage looking pair of earrings to add a little sparkle.
 
 
The minimized other accesorries finally allowed me to the perfect oppurtunity to wear my statement handband.
 
 
The headband was another Fattoo purchase.  I think it's just too fun, whimsical, and over the top for daily wear; making it just right for a glam evening.
 

These shoes were another one of my keepers from Modcloth.  They are first heel purchase in many years but they were just too fun to resist.
 
 
I paired the shoes with a textured tight on accident at first as I was searching for my solid black ones but I think the look is a happy accident.
 
 
I wish everyone happy holidays and I hope all of my fat sisters get the oppurtunity to go out in glamour and glitz, feeling confident and beautiful!   Please go check out more plus sized holiday glitz and glam from the rest of the beautiful Ahead of the Curve ladies!
 

 
We are a collective of plus size bloggers coming together to post on the same subject. This month we are sharing our take on “Holiday Glitz and Glam” so check them out by clicking on each link:
 




 
Fatshion Peepshow: Glitz and Glam Wave
 
The Valerie Gallery:  My Vintage Glam
 

It’s Melicious:  Glam It Up
 
 
 
Lis Finds Bliss:  Holiday Looks
 
Harper Valley Vlog:  Holiday Party Looks!
 
 
Banner created by Elizabeth Tamny: http://www.elizabethtamny.com




6 comments:

affatshionista.com said...

I may have to have that dress, after it goes back on sale. And of course I already have the sweater. I love that our taste is often similar.

Lisa said...

I want those shoes! Great pairing with the tights.

Lis said...

You look great! I love your accessories, Cherie - brings the whole outfit together. <3

Melissa Medina said...

hehe, just what affinity said, i feel that our taste is also somewhat similar. You are rocking that headpiece lady! I love it!!! Very classy.

Melissa A. Dana (from FB) said...

You look fabuloso in this! And that headpiece is to die for. You said this ran slightly big - did you get the 3x or 4x? 'Cause I note your itty bitty waist fits a 3x but your hips a 4x...it would help me decide what size to order for my own body which is a 3x in bust and hip but a 4x in waist.

Cherie said...

It's a 4X, it has an elastic gathered waist so that helps define it.